httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: 2.0 development in-person meeting
Date Sat, 07 Jun 1997 22:00:39 GMT
On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

Brian, I don't know what editor you're using for your email, but could
you tell it to wrap your lines at a column less than 80? It's annoying
having to reformat mail so that the > marks can be inserted and the
lines don't overflow.

> Now that 1.2 has been released, and thoughts on 1.2.x and 1.3 are
> percolating, I'd like to propose a first-ever Apache developer's
> conference.  Not some 1000-person gig at Moscone - I'm think a 15-20
> person meeting where we can hash out what's going to be in 2.0 and how
> we're going to architect it. Certainly a lot of this can be
> accomplished via email, but I think we could make a lot more progress
> in a short amount of time if we up the bandwidth by being face to
> face.

While this is probably a good idea, I think it's not going to
work. It's obvious that most people can't make the date, or the
place. If the purpose of the conference is to work out Apache 2.0, it
really doesn't make any sense to postpone it until late August (as has
been suggested), since that means that we can't do any work on 2.0
until then.

So I think email may have to be the means that we figure this
out. Heck, it's worked for everything else Apache's done in the past
two years. We just need to figure out some clear vauge goals for
Apache 2.0, assign people to oversee each of them, and do it.