httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: list delays
Date Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:30:17 GMT
On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > Let's get the mirror stuff up asap.  As of this morning Apache traffic
> > was over half the total HTTP traffic from hyperreal.
> And how much was downloads from /dist vs. other stuff?  If most is from
> dist, then just a CGI to redirect downloads should help.  If not, then
> something more may be necessary.  I don't like the multiple A record
> thing.  Perhaps a frontdoor script that redirects to mirrors?

The vast majority was from /dist.  From 11am (around the time the
front page was changed) to now:

14811   163724232
809     76209307
4417    47138083
126     34414041
5232    26932884
211     20923800
1576    20683054
662     19284684
45      17991146
882     16236729

Meaning now we're running about 50% /dist, 30% /docs.  Last night it
was at around 80% /dist, so this is a great improvement.  I'm looking
at the raw bandwidth charts now, and's bandwidth share
is now smaller than it was; I anticipate that improving more over
time, too. The problem is demand is so elastic... hmm, right *now* FTP
traffic is very high, and I see it may be because I shifted "Old" to
"old", since most of the FTP users right now are mirrors.

Anyways, I'll keep watching this until Monday, when I leave for south
africa for a week for a conference.  I'll followup with offers for
help privately.  Thanks, everyone.

View raw message