httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Wouldn't it be interesting to know...
Date Wed, 11 Jun 1997 05:26:45 GMT
On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> The CGI could get more complicated in recommending a mirror site that is a
> match based on country code, but a large part of the usefulness could be
> gained from simply having it direct the user to various mainstream (ie.
> good connectivity) sites to download it from.  It has advantages over just
> using a hostname with multiple IPs in terms of reliability and letting the
> user pick a site that doesn't change like magic under them.

What methodology will it use to "direct the user"?  What requires the
dynamic nature of a CGI script?  I see your "list.cgi" page, great - I
don't see what benefit it brings over a static HTML page that could be
generated in batch, though, if putting the mirror list in a formal
database is your goal right now.

	Brian