httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: [2.0] proposed vhost config rewrite
Date Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:38:05 GMT
On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> I am really concerned that this totally generic language is going to
> become one of our worst mistakes ever.

I have to agree with Dean, for the reasons he stated.

In my opinion, we have to come up with a configuration file which is
easy to parse and edit using GUI tools, tools which themselves
are understandable and intuitive for "non-Unix-gurus".  An example:
it is intuitive for admins to think of servers based on ServerName
*first*, IP number(s) and port(s) second.  A configuration interface
where the primary way of configuring multiple servers is to select
from a menu of server names is thus the right way to go.  However,
if the underlying configuration file format allows for attributes
of servers to be set in multiple places, it will be more difficult
to write this configuration tool.  It might also be good to support
"profiles" for sites, i.e. a configuration which can be reapplied to a
number of different servers.  Which suggests some sort of macro
ability would be good.

Just some thoughts.

	Brian