httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: hostname lookups
Date Tue, 01 Jul 1997 06:11:12 GMT
My vote is turn hostnamelookups back on for 1.2.1, then consider what we
want to do for 1.3.  There are too many unresolved issues.

There is a big difference between running a server with hostnamelookups on
and resolving the names later.  If you process a week's worth of logfiles
and cache the results, you will do a lot less lookups than if you do them
when you get the request.  Just as importantly, lookups take time and add
another serialization to the process.