httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Our recent Apache woes (fwd)
Date Sat, 28 Jun 1997 16:36:06 GMT
On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > >
> > > In 1.2.1, do you think we should default freebsd and aux to
> > > USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT?  sunos should work with that as well.  I
> > > don't know what to use for hpux, ultrix, osf1, paragon, sequent, ...
> >
> > I'd vote +1 on USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT for A/UX and FreeBSD. I'm
> > glad that Randy's experience jives with mine about FreeBSD running
> > "better".
>
> Oh yeah... There's been some discussion about some OSs requiring
> keepalives disabled, but it may be likely that a much smaller
> # of keepalive requests might be better, or at least a thing to
> try... Right now we default to 100 when with 1.1.3 we had, what, 10?

I don't see any reason why lowering the number will improve anything; I
would expect it to hurt more than help.  It isn't an Apache flaw causing
the problem, but a kernel/client interaction at the close of each
connection.  The fewer connections you have, the fewer closes you have,
the fewere problems you have.  In theory.