httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: CVS Access?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 1997 14:27:17 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 rasmus@bellglobal.com wrote:

> > I know that I had read-only access to the repository long before I had
> > write access.  But Brian had to create me an accout.  So you'll probably
> > have to wait until he's back.
>
> Well, there is no requirement for an actual account to exist in order to
> have CVS read access.  I have included the appropriate bit of CVS
> documentation explaining this.  I am not sure we necessarily need cvsup.
> Straight remote CVS may not be super-efficient, but it would certainly
> be more efficient than me downloading the entire snapshot every six hours.
> >From a bandwidth point of view I'd only be fetching patches.

I don't trust it.  I guess the main thing I don't trust is CVS's remote
server that is started as root before switching to whatever uid.  Since
that is running on taz anyway, it shouldn't hurt too much to provide this
type of read only access.

<RANT TYPE="OpenBSD">
For those not entirely cvs-literate, this is similar to the anoncvs
service that OpenBSD goes on and on and on about to the point of making
their sources nearly impossible to access any other way, while continually
whining about how other *BSDs aren't as open because they don't use
anoncvs but only have 103 other ways of getting the source tree, most of
which OpenBSD doesn't have.
</RANT>

I still don't trust it, but wouldn't object.  I would suggest this is
really Brian's decision though, so needs to wait for him to rejoin the
world of the dead...