httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: [STATUS] Fri Jun 6 08:12:55 EDT 1997
Date Sat, 07 Jun 1997 18:18:32 GMT
On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > I don't pay much attention to the NT stuff; how involved is NT support?
> > Could it not go in 1.2.x?  To avoid having three trees, 1.2 would have to
> > die a quick death in favor of 1.3 anyway...
>
> There are two big issues with the NT version:
>
>   - os abstraction
>   - multithreading

Which seems awfully close to the things to do for 2.0.  Sigh.  I'm just
concerned about loosing a focus; it took long enough to get 1.2 out when
everyone was working on the one branch.  Now we have the potential for
three branches.

OTOH, the process of getting the NT version working could help by
fixing up a lot of code changes in modules, etc. to make them work
with threads.  For the most part, the same changes are needed
however multithreading is implemented.

Are there any reasons, other than the very significant one of how
long it will take to get 2.0 out, to not just incorporate NT into
2.0 and skip 1.3?  It seems to me that would avoid a lot of duplication
of effort; unfortunately, it would delay the NT release a lot.