httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: [STATUS] Thu Jun 5 07:12:25 EDT 1997
Date Thu, 05 Jun 1997 15:37:21 GMT
On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> > > Please reread what I said... create 2 directories, one with
> > > the 1.2 stuff and the other with 2.0. For simplicity sake, name
> > > the 2.0 stuff, which will be getting the most work, just apache.
> > > Since it's the main one, 'cvs co apache' will work. For the
> > > 1.2 stuff, use the CVS (release) tag to checkout the 1.2
> > > stuff
> >
> > The point is that when you are working on the 1.2 branch, you can NOT just
> > use a normal cvs update even after you have properly checked out the
> > branch, but you have to include the -r flag _every_ time.  cvs branch tags
> > are _NOT_ completely sticky, even though the docs claim they are.
>
> That's not my experience - what makes you think this?
>
> And how come I just went to my 1.1 directory and did this, for the first time
> in ages:

It does work for _most_ things, which makes you think it works fine
and then it doesn't work for everything which comes and shoots you
in the foot (or head...).  I don't recall the exact details of the
problem right now, but it comes in with files that are added to
HEAD but are not in the branch.  In some source trees, you never
see the problem.  It does, however, appear and really mess things
up in some situations.

I will check the exact nature of the problem later when I get time...