httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@bellglobal.com
Subject Re: CVS Access?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:34:28 GMT
> I know that I had read-only access to the repository long before I had
> write access.  But Brian had to create me an accout.  So you'll probably
> have to wait until he's back.

Well, there is no requirement for an actual account to exist in order to
have CVS read access.  I have included the appropriate bit of CVS
documentation explaining this.  I am not sure we necessarily need cvsup.
Straight remote CVS may not be super-efficient, but it would certainly
be more efficient than me downloading the entire snapshot every six hours.
>From a bandwidth point of view I'd only be fetching patches.

   When authenticating a password, the server first checks for the user
 in the CVS `passwd' file.  If it finds the user, it compares against
 that password.  If it does not find the user, or if the CVS `passwd'
 file does not exist, then the server tries to match the password using
 the system's user-lookup routine.  When using the CVS `passwd' file,
 the server runs under as the username specified in the the third
 argument in the entry, or as the first argument if there is no third
 argument (in this way CVS allows imaginary usernames provided the CVS
 `passwd' file indicates corresponding valid system usernames).  In any
 case, CVS will have no privileges which the (valid) user would not have.

   It is possible to "map" cvs-specific usernames onto system usernames
 (i.e., onto system login names) in the `$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/passwd' file
 by appending a colon and the system username after the password.  For
 example:

      cvs:ULtgRLXo7NRxs:kfogel
      generic:1sOp854gDF3DY:spwang
      anyone:1sOp854gDF3DY:spwang