httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: general/652: load spikes every few minutes (fwd)
Date Sat, 28 Jun 1997 22:59:52 GMT
>I'm not really sure that it is necessary.  There are an awful lot of SunOS
>4.x sites running just fine with persistent connections... to force it off
>in the compile is somewhat inconsistent and confusing.

People do need to be warned then that FIN_WAIT_2 mbufs will
eventually pile up and the related kernel bug in SunOS4 will cause
their machine to Panic.  They will need to do periodic reboots just
to maintain the machine performance.  If the machine is used for anything
besides the web server, that can be a major bummer.  I don't think
that persistence (with the current crop of browser bugs) is worth the
instability.

.....Roy