httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Questions from a venture group
Date Tue, 24 Jun 1997 02:24:49 GMT
    I received the attached (slightly reformatted) set of questions.
    Anyone else who wants to respond, let me know privately and I'll
    send you his address.

    #ken    :-)}
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:08:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan Beldy <xxx>
Subject: Apache success...

Ken,

thanks for the opportunity to ask a few questions.  As you know, we are
a software venture firm that is continually assessing the market
dynamics of various products and industries.  With that in mind, we
admire the soft-spoken success Apache has enjoyed in the Web server
market and want to determine from the Project Team those ingredients
that have fueled this success; in addition to assessing future plans to
maintain market share (if that is a priority).  I submit the following:

1.  In spite of the press hailing the commercial success of Netscape and
Microsoft server prodcuts, Apache still holds an impressive share of the
market.  Although Apache offers a more powerful and customizable
approach for serious webmasters, is there another customer dynamic that
the for-profit firms are missing that has allowed Apache to enjoy such
dominance?

2.  Is the pool of sophisticated Unix programmers growing sufficiently to
support the long term acceptance of Apache?

2.  Can Apache maintain its technology amid deep-pocketed rivals with
plans to dethrone it?

3.  Is the plan to port Apache to Windows NT, to add Java API support,
and to provide a graphical interface a direct response to this
competitive threat and/or is it being requested by a majority of the
dispersed user group?

4.  If this move succeeds in maintaining, or even increasing the
installed user base, there will be increased press coverage and
competitive threats from the likes of Microsoft.  Is it possible that
Apache ever adopts a for-profit revenue model to maintain its dominant
web-server presence?

That's about it...did not want to bombard you with a host of questions.
If you have the time to pass this to other Project team members who
might offer different perspectives, it would be appreciated.  Congrats
on your successes thus far...please do not read into question 4,
although we would always welcome talking to you and the team about the
profit-making potential you all could enjoy, we realize the reason for
much of Apache's success lies in its unique, collaborative development
environment.  Take care and thanks again.

Dan Beldy
Associate
xxx Venture Partners