httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: pserver on taz?
Date Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:33:21 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > Can't you guys use ssh?  I seem to recall your firewall being socksified
> > ben, ssh has socks support.  If you haven't tried ssh before I recommend
> > 1.2.17, because every version after that had a flurry of bug reports and
> > problems reported on the ssh mailing list.  See
> > <http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/>.
> >
> > install it
> > setenv CVS_RSH=ssh
> >
> > That should get you going... that'll prompt you for a password each time
> > you try to connect.  You can set it up so you're running under the
> > ssh-agent, but it's more complicated.  I can post examples if anyone
> > wants.
>
> That may sort me out on FreeBSD, though so far all I get is a hung CVS. But
> what about Windows?

Hmmm - fixed FreeBSD. In order to use ssh with CVS, I installed it (I'd been
using it from the build directory, a bad habit of mine). Installing it made it
setuid root, which allowed it to set the local port to 1023, which meant my
firewall blocked it. Removing the setuid bit fixed it. Why does it need
setuid? I'm using 1.2.20, BTW.

Now - is there a freeware ssh port to Windows?

Cheers,

Ben.