httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Another one for the FAQ
Date Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:38:16 GMT
One more

Dw.

<LI><A NAME="authonsamemachine">
      <STRONG>Do I have to keep the (mSQL) authentifcation information on the same machine?</STRONG>
     </A>
  Some organizations feel very strongly about keeping the authentifcation information on
  a different machine than the webserver. With the mod_auth_msql, mod_auth_mysql and other
  SQL modules connecting to (R)DBMses this is quite well possible. Just configure an
  explicit host to contact.
  Be aware that with mSQL and Oracle, opening and closing these database connections is
  very expensive and time consuming. You might want to look at the code in the auth_modules
  and play with the compile time flags to alleviate this somewhat; if your RDBMS licences

  alows for it.

<LI><A NAME="msqlslow">
      <STRONG>My mSQL authentification is terribly slow?</STRONG>
     </A>
  RTFM; you have probably configured the Host by specificing a FQHN, and thus
  the libmsql will use a full blown tcp/ip socket to talk to the database,
  rather than a fast internal device. Both the libmsql, the mSQL faq and the mod_auth_msql
  documentation warn you for this. If you have to use different hosts, check
  out the mod_auth_msql code for some compile time flags which might, or might
  not suit you.