httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Thoughts on a 2.0 API
Date Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:04:56 GMT
>I'm not quite sure what you mean by "method names as strings" (and
>also realize that the syntax I gave was just an example, not how I
>really think it should be). Could you elaborate?

It was just a note about your example -- the functions were registering
handlers using the M_GET|M_POST symbols, whereas we should provide a way
for handlers to register any token as a method.

The ideal mechanism for handling both methods and header field names
is to have enumerated symbols for unparsed, each recognized name, and
unrecognized.  The server could then check to see if the field
is parsed and use the enumerate as the key into a hash table, with
non-standard names being a linked list under the unrecognized category.

....Roy