httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [2.0] proposed vhost config rewrite
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 20:43:41 GMT
Randy Terbush wrote:

> Interesting. Looks like this next version will be quite
> interesting. :-)
>
> It would also be nice if <VirtualHost> (or <HostMatch>) could
> appear multiple times for the same Vhost. This would allow us to
> abstract certain portions of the configuration that we are willing
> to give user control to. (ie the user that is renting the server)

The idea is that it keeps processing matching sections, until it hits a "do
something" directive, such as File. This may give rise to a new set of stuff
which gets matched by the config file (in this case, by <File ...>).

The idea, vaguely, is that a connection hits the server. This gives rise to
a Protocol match on the config file, which results in some protocols being
pushed (or an error). Say HTTP/1.1 gets pushed. Then we get a Request, which
propogates through the config. That might lead to a File directive, which
causes a File match to be pushed through. If it survives the experience, the
file is served.

Naturally, along the way to the File directive, other things can be set -
content type, language, whatever, all of which is gathered up, somehow, into
the next lump that gets matched...

You understand that I'm still a bit vague about the details...

Cheers,

Ben.