httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [2.0 API] update to "apigen" script
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 13:30:26 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > Which reminds me - I've been toying with a new way of doing configuration,
> > which may just provide a happy medium between a "programmable" configuration
> > and the current one. It has some other perks, too, like being able to show
> > exactly how a request got tickled by its path through the configuration...
> >
> > Of course, I may be biting off more than I can chew here, but I'm going to run
> > with it for a while. It's in C++, of course (and would be hell to write in C).
> >

> C++  ??
>
> Oh no.... here we go again :) :)

;-)

One of the reasons I'm doing this is to see how much C++ the average module
writer has to deal with. The core uses templates and all sorts, but by the
time you are at the module level, it is all much simpler (so far!).

Naturally, the same thing _could_ be written in C, but then the module writer
would have far more work to do vis-a-vis interaction with the core.

I suspect the approach may yield an environment that is easier, even for
non-C++ programmers, than pure C would be.

That said, this is all much nearer to the "twinkle in the eye" stage than to
code-complete. It may all go horribly wrong!

Cheers,

Ben.