httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [2.0 API] update to "apigen" script
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 12:14:53 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > You may actually want to _wait_ until the Apache Group decides
> > what it thinks before you decide to "take" Apache in the
> > direction you think it needs to go.
> >
> > I certainly wouldn't, for example, start a new sendmail configuration
> > file format and then, on the sendmail newsgroups and mailing
> > lists, start saying stuff like "Well, I'm almost done with my
> > sendmail.cf rewrite. How about a few comments and I can start
> > the server code changes. Eric, when do you think we can fold
> > this in??"
>
> Personally, I welcome work like this.  The only way we can move ahead is
> to have people like Ian take some initiative and develop things.  We can
> discuss stuff until we are blue in the face, but unless someone actually
> sits down and does the work we won't get anywhere.  I really don't want to
> scare off anybody willing to put in time and effort, and I don't think it
> is constructive to do so.

Agreed - one shouldn't be too touchy about the way people want to proceed. If
Ian wants to spend (and possibly waste) his time on a new way of doing APIs
for Apache, then more power to his elbow. It is still up to us whether we
accept/reject/use part of/ignore his efforts.

Which reminds me - I've been toying with a new way of doing configuration,
which may just provide a happy medium between a "programmable" configuration
and the current one. It has some other perks, too, like being able to show
exactly how a request got tickled by its path through the configuration...

Of course, I may be biting off more than I can chew here, but I'm going to run
with it for a while. It's in C++, of course (and would be hell to write in C).

Cheers,

Ben.