httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: minor features and changes
Date Sun, 08 Jun 1997 15:49:03 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:
> As an example, the call_exec function in the module API currently does not
> return (it does an exec*()). In the NT port it does a spawn*() and returns
> the child PID. So all modules which use call_exec (including mod_cgi,
> mod_include, mod_rewrite) have to be updated with more #ifdef WIN32
> sections. These leads to a large number of changes throughout the code.
> This will make the job on module writing more complex, and testing very
> difficult (since a typical module writer on Unix may not have access to MS
> operating systems and MSVC, for example). So in a merged Apache for Unix
> and NT I would like to see a *consistent* module API interface (it may
> well be that call_exec functionality has to be updated to work more like
> the NT version, but at least it would be consistent across all platforms).
> There are other cases similar to this (socket functions, timeouts,
> signals, etc).

Although you give call_exec as an example, if my memory serves me, it is the
only such case. Not that many modules use it.

I'd rather integrate NT into 1.3, even if it is a bit messy, simply because the
time wasted trying to keep the two trees in sync will vastly exceed the time
wasted by Unix persons having to navigate around Windows code. Of course, if
a Unix module doesn't work on Windows because of differences, its up to the
Windows coders to fix it, if they want it.

Or, we could attempt to fix call_exec so it can be used on either...

Cheers,

Ben.