httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [STATUS] Fri Jun 6 08:12:55 EDT 1997
Date Sat, 07 Jun 1997 12:36:11 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >	My fear about making 1.3 the head is that 2.0 will not happen
> >if we do that.
> >
> >	If the 1.3 agenda is *SOLELY* integrating NT support, then
> >that would be ok, and we can't allow *ANY* other changes. (Other than
> >1.2.x bugfixes.)
>
> Let's not go down that path again.  We thought that it would be better
> to linearize releases for 1.2 because we didn't want to starve the 1.2
> work for the more sexy 2.0 design.  We were wrong -- it stopped development
> of 2.0 completely and it didn't speed 1.2 at all.

Agreed.

> We need to work on the big release in parallel.  I would even support
> splitting the list at this point, moving 2.0 development to a dev-two@
> list and creating a separate sandbox.  If 2.0 is going to be the "next
> great server", it has to lose all of the bounds of our existing codebase
> and only pull in what it really needs.  The one thing I'd like to avoid
> is private sandboxes, where 2.0 development is done outside Apache; that
> only leads to trouble.

I agree here, too. Evolving 2.0 from 1.x should not be the plan. 1.x should be
seen as a resource which _may_ be used for 2.0 - I think a survey of the other
servers MO is also called for - if we can find a suck^H^H^H^Hvolunteer.

I also think we should be prepared to evaluate several models for 2.0, even to
the extent of coding some of them up (to some level of functionality).

> Personally, I'm not going to be much help on either development.  Now that
> 1.2 is done, I need to start fulfilling the promises that have been piling
> up since I started doing the HTTP specs, including work on two grants and
> doing the Ph.D. work that I have been putting off for too long.  That means
> reading the list once a week instead of three times a day.  If anybody
> needs me to answer a question in a hurry, please feel free to send it to
> me directly.

What _is_ your PhD, Roy?

Cheers,

Ben.