httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: [STATUS] Wed Jun 4 08:10:42 EDT 1997
Date Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:25:50 GMT
>From the fingers of rasmus flowed the following:
>
>But how does that help?  The fact is that the old httpd rule which looked
>like this is bogus:
>
>httpd: $(REGLIB) $(OBJS)
>        $(CC) $(LFLAGS)  -o httpd $(OBJS) $(REGLIB) $(LIBS)
>
>No matter what I do, libphp.a which is part of $(LIBS) is not going
>to see symbols in $(REGLIB) because of the order.

    Huh.  At least on CDC's NOS operating system, the `linker' noted at
    which point in the command processing a module had been introduced,
    and circled through the list until the module had a chance to have
    externals satisfied from all the other files - whether they occurred
    before or after it.  I forget whether preference was given to those
    before (which had not yet been referenced) or those after.

    Now, *there* was an operating system!  But that doesn't help the
    current discussion.

    Maybe the build for libphp.a should insert the regex modules
    directly into *that* file?

    #ken    :-P}