httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: Apache story (fwd)
Date Mon, 02 Jun 1997 18:21:05 GMT
> Is anyone available to help with this today or tomorrow?  Please contact me and
> I'll send you his phone #, so we don't have duplication of effort.  I'd do it
> but I know others out there have more experience tweaking for performance....

It actually is an interesting question; we did some test recently on 16,32 and 64
MB pentiums, with varying bandwith, filesize and hit rates. And compared linux,
freebsd and solaris x86(server edition).

Ok, most of it confirms Slothoubers paper, but the comparison between the three
OS-es is interesting; for LOW loads, linux is fastest, followed closely by
freebsd, few percent difference. Solaris is 2 to 3 times slower. If you then
increase the load; linux will bomb out first; usualy with a kernel panix,
buffer/silo overrun, something nice and visible. FreeBSD will just get itself
in a swap loop; and preformance sags to less than 20% of the extrapolated
linear behavour of the lower load. But solaris just keeps hammering on, gets
about 5 times slower, 6, 7 times.. hits a soft limit, but keeps serving them
right. If you add some nfs and dns servering you hit these limits a lot earlier.

So which is best :-) No real answer I guess :-)

Dw.