httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: minor features and changes
Date Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:07:58 GMT
Rob Hartill wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > There are various little features and changes that have been backing up
> > for an awfully long time.  While we figure out a path for the major
> > changes that are going to be made in 1.3 and for 2.0, I don't see why
> > development shouldn't move ahead.
> >
> > Any objections to me (and hopefully others...) starting to get moving
> > again on patches and changes that are relatively minor things compared to
> > the API and threads and abstraction related?
>
> Have we decided on a path ?
>
> it's all terribly confusing from the various threads going on.
>
> My preference..
>
> Develop 1.3 and 2.0 in parallel and be prepared for emergency 1.2.X's.
>
> 2.0      major revamp
> 1.3      1.2 + features - to live as long as there's support for it.
> 1.2.x    important bugfixes only - no features.

My take on the current trees - 1.2.X and the HEAD - is this, looking
from the standpoint of the proxy:

Big fixes (there are a number of these) fold into both trees.
Minor enhancements fold into both trees.
Major enhancements (HTTP 1.1 support, new caching strategy, real
multiple alarm handling, not just a hack) go into HEAD as a testbed for
later deployment into 2.0. They'll also release in whatever HEAD gets
called. If that's 1.3, fine. If that's 2.0, then I'd have to consider
folding them back into the earlier final 1.X tree too.

But for a couple of days, I'm working on other things. Like sleep. Then
I plan to get back to work on both long and short term stuff.

I used to think I could wrap up the proxy and move back into the core
development more, but the bloody proxy has taken on a life of its own.
--
chuck
Chuck Murcko