httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: hostname lookups
Date Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:49:14 GMT
FTR - I don't view having 'HostnameLookups on' as that big of a
problem. Certainly not big enough to justify the tidal wave of "bug"
reports that this will surely generate.

What is the difference between me running servers with
HostnameLookups on and having a log processor running on the side
resolving an endless stream of requests?

The real problem here is the thousands of sites out there that
can't seem to configure reverse lookups for their clients. If the
address can be resolved, it is in local cache and that is the end
of it. If it can't be resolved, it creates an endless number of
failed attempts everywhere it goes on the net.

If we want to do the net a favor, add the code to refuse serving
clients with addresses that cannot be resolved. That way we shift
the bug reports off to the service providers. :-)

IMHO - This type of change does not belong in 1.2.x