httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <a.wil...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: T-shirts!u
Date Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:28:32 GMT
Ben Laurie:

> Andrew Wilson wrote:
> > My concern is that the product isn't not-for-profit, since it's
> > clearly intended to benefit the company through advertising.  I'd
> > be very unhappy if K-Mart or McDonalds had a logo on a sanctioned
> > Apache tshirt.  But then I'm having trouble enough just keeping a
> > straight face about all this.
>
> The critical difference is that I do actually do stuff for Apache. The
> intention of the t-shirt is not to benefit the company, however, if the
> company can't even get a mention, then what is in it for the company? I should
> remind you that as a director of the company, I have a duty to the
> shareholders. That duty does not extend to using company resources to print
> t-shirts simply because I think it is a cool idea.
>
> May I remind you of a suggestion someone made for the slogan?
>
> "I gain a substantial amount of kudos for my association with Apache
>     though I've made no concrete contribution to the project for over a year."
>
> Or do you think we should all get anonymous email and strike our names out of
> all documentation, so we don't "profit" from working on Apache?

There are so many different ways to reply to this message that I'm
spoiled for choice.  The offer to put valuable resources behind the
production of a batch of garments carrying the Apache logo and their
subsequent distribution to interested parties is indeed timely and
welcome.  In addition, the healthy and reasoned discussion of topics
which stemmed from this indicates that the Apache Group is well able to
identify and resolve critical issues whenever they arise.

> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email: ben@algroup.co.uk
> Freelance Consultant and  Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472
> Technical Director        URL: http://www.algroup.co.uk/Apache-SSL
> A.L. Digital Ltd,         Apache Group member (http://www.apache.org)
> London, England.          Apache-SSL author

Ay. (and the horse he rode in here on).