httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Bixby <ma...@spock.dis.cccd.edu>
Subject Re: autoconf
Date Fri, 27 Jun 1997 23:23:48 GMT
Ben Laurie writes:
> I'll restate my objections to autoconf:

...deletia...

> 4. On minority OSes, autoconf scripts are often severely broken.

Like on MPE, where autoconf expects unresolved functions to cause an error at
link time.  But the MPE linker doesn't think that unresolved externals are
an error condition.

This is because you can specify a list of libraries at run time that will
override whatever you linked with, and these run-time libraries just might
possibly contain the missing functions.

It can be a darn handy feature, but unfortunately incomprehensible to autoconf.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: markb@cccd.edu
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/