httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <a.wil...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: The Cathedral and the Bazaar
Date Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:50:15 GMT
Dean Gaudet:

> A friend sent this to me, it's strangely relevant to our recent
> discussions :)
>
> http://www.ccil.org/~esr/writings/cathedral.html

Interesting.  The author speaks only in terms of a 'bazarre' project
having a single recognised leader who by force of personality and
general good judgement is able to steer the project when it needs
steering and is otherwise open to new ideas when they are timely.

I wonder if the Apache Project isn't different in this regard.  There
seems to be a rolling cast of project and sub-project leaders with
no-one acting as an overall moderator for very long.  It looks like
there's a lot in 'Cathederal and Bazarre' that rings true for Apache
Group's operating practice, but just as much that isn't.

It's an interesting piece, I wish he'd written more on the subject.

Ay.

--
Andrew.Wilson@cm.cs.ac.uk          http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/