httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Regex mod_alias
Date Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:45:58 GMT

In article <Pine.HPP.3.95.970624032554.1316A-100000@ace.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> you wrote:

>[...]
> However, I now feel that this is not sufficient. Many people do not
> use mod_rewrite. It is complex to use, especially in .htaccess
> files. It is not part of the core server configuration, which means
> that those who download binary releases will not get it (including
> most NT users). Even if it is installed, it can be daunting to
> understand. Although very powerful and handy, it has been compared to
> sendmail.cf.

<grin> Yes, beside Larry Wall the guy named Eric Allman is my favorite ;-)
Sure, mod_rewrite is for hackers only who want to jump deep into the URL
manipulation box and achieve what they intended. So, I say +1 to Alexeis
improvement because it is wise to keep Joe Average away from it unless really
needed but make sure that he is not too much underpowered.

So, I've not tested the patch, but at least +1 for the idea.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com