httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Questions from a venture group
Date Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:00:44 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     I received the attached (slightly reformatted) set of questions.
>     Anyone else who wants to respond, let me know privately and I'll
>     send you his address.
>
>     #ken    :-)}
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:08:16 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dan Beldy <xxx>
> Subject: Apache success...
>
> Ken,
>
> thanks for the opportunity to ask a few questions.  As you know, we are
> a software venture firm that is continually assessing the market
> dynamics of various products and industries.  With that in mind, we
> admire the soft-spoken success Apache has enjoyed in the Web server
> market and want to determine from the Project Team those ingredients
> that have fueled this success; in addition to assessing future plans to
> maintain market share (if that is a priority).  I submit the following:
>
> 1.  In spite of the press hailing the commercial success of Netscape and
> Microsoft server prodcuts, Apache still holds an impressive share of the
> market.  Although Apache offers a more powerful and customizable
> approach for serious webmasters, is there another customer dynamic that
> the for-profit firms are missing that has allowed Apache to enjoy such
> dominance?

I think Apache's 2 main advantages are that it's FREE and that the source
code is complete available. Many, mant sites appreciate the knowledge
that they could muck around with the code and change things to
their liking, even if they never go ahead and do it.

There is also the popular "David And Goliath" angle... A core
group of a dozen or so developers, with their ears very attuned
to the Internet community and much more immersed in it in a
day-to-day way, lacks the inertia of large corps and so can
move quicker.

> 2.  Is the pool of sophisticated Unix programmers growing sufficiently to
> support the long term acceptance of Apache?

Sure looks like it.

> 2.  Can Apache maintain its technology amid deep-pocketed rivals with
> plans to dethrone it?

Most likely, it's easier for Apache to do so than other Web Server
"companies" since the Group is not a company at all. Of course,
as most 'Net based developers are doing now, the Group will no
doubt form some sort of legal entity, but when you don't worry
about the bottom line (because there _is_ no bottom line :) ) it's
easier to take chances.

> 3.  Is the plan to port Apache to Windows NT, to add Java API support,
> and to provide a graphical interface a direct response to this
> competitive threat and/or is it being requested by a majority of the
> dispersed user group?

I think Apache has always moved in the direction of what people
ask for and want.

> 4.  If this move succeeds in maintaining, or even increasing the
> installed user base, there will be increased press coverage and
> competitive threats from the likes of Microsoft.  Is it possible that
> Apache ever adopts a for-profit revenue model to maintain its dominant
> web-server presence?

There are absolutely, positivly NO plans at all to ever charge for
Apache. Although, no doubt, the developers would love to become
multi-millionaires, we still have that old-time sense of
Internet community. We see the Internet and Apache's place in
it as a cool way of sharing with the 'net at large, and not
a marketplace to be exploited.