httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <a.wil...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Reporting OS type: was Re: [Fwd: good work!!]
Date Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:27:43 GMT
A looong time ago when I wrote the Netcraft Webserver Survey search
engine and stats routines it was suggested that Apache might return
additional 'helpful' information in the 'Server:' header.  So:

    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:18:16 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.1.1 SunOs/5.5.1

It was, I recall, countered with the argument that this was a huge
come-on to hackers who could use the OS / Platform version information
to craft their hacks.

I still think that adding this additional information is a *STUPID*
idea and one that should be resisted.  Indeed Netcraft has never
published the actual software versions being deployed at each site
(though this is a trivial thing to derive if you have the inclination)
for fear of abuse.

Talk to Netcraft directly if you want to know how the survey works now,
I've had nothing to do with it for over a year.

Ay.

Ambarish Malpani:

--
Andrew.Wilson@cm.cs.ac.uk          http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/