httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: strong disapproval from the mirrors on running CGI programs
Date Sat, 14 Jun 1997 19:42:53 GMT
> On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, sameer wrote:
> > > b) make the "download" link go to /dist locally; a HEADER in that
> > > directory will have something like
> >
> > 	The 'download' link should go to
> > http://cgi.apache.org/mirrors.cgi. I think that dist/ pointing to the
> > hyperreal download site will not significantly help the bandwidth
> > situation.
>
> I meant locally as in, it'll go to dist/ from whatever mirror the user
> happens to be on; the intent is to first get people to their closest
> mirror for the home page, then off to download.
>
> 	Brian

> brian@organic.com  www.apache.org  hyperreal.com  http://www.organic.com/JOBS

I'm a bit confused about what progress is being made on the mirror
issue. Here is an idea....

Use mod_rewrite and call a CGI that redirects to the appropriate
mirror for any URI with /download/ at the beginning?  This appears
to be what www.perl.com is doing for /CPAN/ requests and should
allow taz to run code that does not need to be mirrored to the
mirror sites.  ???

Giving people coming from .net or .com a list where taz appears
first does not seem to be very proactive.

.02