httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: some votes, thoughts
Date Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:33:27 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > > Someone should compare sfio and bstdio, it would be nice to avoid rolling
> > > our own layered i/o system.  We seem to agree on the need for layered i/o.

> > I think sfio is more universal, esp since Perl now has some hooks
> > for it. I think sfio-Perl is still semi-experimental but at least
> > that means sfio is being worked on and is available from CPAN :)
> Eh. I don't know if universal is an issue; whatever we end up picking,
> we'll have to bundle it with Apache. So whether we go for sfio, a
> less-well-known variant, or roll our own, it's all the same. We go for
> what works. As for Doug's question, yes, it's required. There's too
> many possibilities for useful things that can be done with a layered
> IO system to make it an option.

By "universal" I meant simply that it was available for more
OSs than, possibly, others. Of course, a full-fledged stdio
replacement may be overkill, but I simply don't know. Although
it appears that many may be leaning towards sfio, I still liked
bstdio :/

      Jim Jagielski            |       jaguNET Access Services           |