httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: GUI Development for Apache
Date Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:46:50 GMT

> > I think that a Tk frontend would be a good solution. Coupled with
> > SNMP this could be a fairly portable interface to NT. (Haven't seen
> > Tk on NT, but I hear that it works).
>
> 	I prefer something cross platform, which would be a web-based
> java thing. I know this java guy who has expressed an interest in
> doing a java frontend, I can dig up his contact info and let him know
> if we go that path.

I have been very skeptical about letting Java close to something
like this since it's instability seems to overshadow it's
portability claims.

However.... Justin Seiferth (who is in the process of subscribing
to new-httpd) offers the following prototype of a Java frontend
that uses the IFC/JFC or NS4.0. It looks very tempting...

http://butler.disa.mil/ApacheConfig

Still, the bottomline of all of this is that we need to create the
config API. I for one have no interest in using the GUI tools, but
can picture some pretty snazzy monitoring and config tools in perl.