httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: GUI Development for Apache
Date Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:33:27 GMT
Randy Terbush wrote:

> My thoughts are that it is probably the one most visible item that
> we get beat up on in reviews and I have seen one Java interface
> that looks quite nice in it's early stages.
>
> Rasmus made some good points in followup to this regarding the
> interface that the server provides. I'm proposing this discussion
> group mainly so that we (The Apache Group) can have some guiding
> hand in what we provide and pull together the fragments of people
> that are working on something. I also feel like I could provide
> more to this part of the project than I can to threading.
>
> I think that a Tk frontend would be a good solution. Coupled with
> SNMP this could be a fairly portable interface to NT. (Haven't seen
> Tk on NT, but I hear that it works).

I think that new-httpd will be able to provide some excellent
guidance in the fit and form of the GUI. I think it's great.
But is anyone else semi-confused that for our Configuration scripts
and such, we try to keep things as basic as possible, meaning
assuming a v7 bourne and basic UNIX tools (and this is for
_building_ the binaries) yet we're looking at/discussing/wondering
about Tk and Java front-ends for _running_ it?