httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sameer <sam...@c2.net>
Subject Re: Draft #2 of PCWeek rebuttal...
Date Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:07:07 GMT
	That looks good. I think we should put everyone's name on
this, so that they know that it really is from the group. (Put Jason's
first, so he gets credit for writing it?) So if you want your name
attached, say so.

-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Better, Ken!  How's this, everyone?
>
> =====
> It's always pleasing to see your product praised in print.  That's why the
> Apache Group was at first happy with the positive press it received in
> Michael Moeller's cover story, "FORT APACHE" (PCWeek, June 9, 1997)  and
> Jim Rapoza's related article, "IT'S NOT EASY.  SO WHAT?"  (PCWeek, pg18,
> June 9, 1997).  We were dismayed, however, by a statement made by Mr.
> Moeller and by what we feel to be a misleading account of Apache's
> performance in the benchmark graph from PC Week Labs.
>
> Moeller's article did a good job of explaining Apache's strengths and
> popularity -- until the last column.  Moeller writes, "Anyone unfamiliar
> with hard-core Unix programming will not be able to get Apache running,
> said users."  To this statement, we must take strong exception.  Of the
> hundreds of thousands of installations of Apache, how many does Moeller
> believe to be administered by "hard-core Unix programmers?"  Apache
> end-users are a diverse bunch: from computer novices, to system
> administrators of varying ability and station, to Moeller's "hard-core"
> example, to everyday people who need good solid web server software.
> Moeller's "quote" from undisclosed "users" is a disappointing low-point
> for an otherwise well crafted article.
>
> As for the benchmark on page 18, we must wonder about the validity of the
> claims it made.  Microsoft's IIS is shown overall to triple the
> performance of two versions of Apache.  These figures are hard to believe.
> Internal testing as well as repeated user feedback indicates that Apache's
> performance meets or far exceeds any of the competition's.  We believe the
> reported numbers would be much different if the Apache configuration were
> even minimally optimized to meet the benchmark's performance metric of
> requests-per-second.
>
> The Apache Group would welcome and appreciate having an opportunity
> to work with PC Week Labs to verify and possibly correct these
> benchmark results.  We would like to provide a configuration that
> would be more appropriate to the platform and benchmark conditions
> while remaining relatively unbiased toward the specific tests.  If
> it can be demonstrated to our satisfaction that the test environment
> was fair across the various servers, we will confirm the fact.
> =====
>
> Jason
> # Jason A. Dour <jad@bcc.louisville.edu>                            1101
> # Programmer Analyst II; Department of Radiation Oncology; Univ. of Lou.
> # Finger for URLs, PGP public key, geek code, PJ Harvey info, et cetera.
-- End of PGP signed section, PGP failed!

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-986-8770
President					FAX:     510-986-8777