httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: threads abstraction (was: Apache Server Contribution)
Date Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:11:32 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> Paul Sutton <paul@ukweb.com> wrote:
>
> > Or it may delay Apache NT while some new feature that were supposed to be
> > made into 2.0 (eg multithreading) are added to 1.3 instead. Or do we just
> > accept Ambarish's implementation of threading as it is, and now make it
> > work on Unix as multithreaded until 2.0? If multithreading is to work on
> > Unix we'll have to spend some time abstracting the threading API to POSIX.
>
> But, it's close and I'm willing to take the first crack at a single
> source implementation that runs on win32 and unix (threads or
> multi-process) using this abstraction.  However, I too see apache
> win32 as a priority, I'd very much like to see that get out the door
> first and then work from that there.

Hmmm... If we do get NT out asap, then we should either have it the
only OS which is being threaded (ie: keep Apache as it is for the
other systems) or develop the "universal" threading technique. Doing
some sort of stop-gap measure for 1.3 is dangerous since it will be
done quickly and will increase our workload for a temporary solution
and possibly even _become_ our "official" method simply because it
exists.