httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@opengroup.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts on a 2.0 API
Date Wed, 11 Jun 1997 03:28:52 GMT
Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> > I might be jumping in without fully understanding the discussion (or
> > the syntax), but this is already quite simple with Perl:
>
> Doug, is it conceivable that Perl could be used as a configuration
> loader, but not be a part of the httpd executable?  Maybe with dld the
> perl module can "unload" itself, but I guess I mean something even
> more divided...

In this case, no.  That example pushes a subroutine reference into an
array which mod_perl calls during the translate stage of a request.
As for the example configuration in my previous message, if the perl
runtime could be unloaded after the <Perl></Perl> sections were
process, that would be fine, the config info will have already been
stuffed into the internal config structures.  As for how to unload a C
library symbol table, I have no idea.  But, if the concern is Perl's
memory hogage, if it's used only to process config, the runtime won't
grow nearly as large as it does once mod_perl starts pulling in big
scripts and big modules such as CGI.pm, DBI, etc.

-Doug