httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Kluft <ikl...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: [2.0 API] update to "apigen" script
Date Tue, 10 Jun 1997 01:30:48 GMT
> From: Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
> [...] Apache is getting widely popular. Being an Apache developer
> is a major feather in one's 'Net cap. There will be some people
> who _will_ try to become involved in Apache for no other reason
> than have their name associated with it.  [...]

That probably will happen.  It may already have happenned.

But there are other scenarios to consider.  It is possible to think that
Apache has served you well and want to return the favor.

I've watched Apache closely since the beginning.  Due to employer restrictions
(at both the previous and current) I couldn't get involved before now.

> I certainly do NOT want to squash anyone's desire to become involved
> with Apache, and I fear that my comments may be mistaken for that. [...]

Suggestion: go back and read again what you wrote.  Your comments really
couldn't be taken any other way.

Anyway, it's a moot point.  Now that the subject of "Thoughts on a 2.0 API"
is under discussion by the Apache Group in general, the only appropriate
thing to do is defer to that discussion.  The API header generation software
I prototyped is available and I'll be willing to help if requested.

And if not, it's a pretty nifty little tool on its own so I'll keep it if
Apache doesn't.
--
Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
ikluft@cisco.com (work)  ikluft@thunder.sbay.org (home)          San Jose, CA