httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: minor features and changes
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 18:09:56 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > Randy Terbush wrote:
> > >

> > > I agree with most of where this discussion is going with exception
> > > of releasing a 1.2-NT. "1.2-NT" is not a version _number_ IMO. 1.3
> > > is a clear checkpoint as to when NT support comes into Apache. KISS
> > > After all, it is just a number...
> > >

> > I think the idea behind 1.2-NT, and the part that I liked, is that
> > it's considered a totally seperate entity, specific for NT.
>
> This is a Bad Thing. NT and 1.x will diverge, and we'll have a maintenance
> nightmare. There's no point in being half-hearted about NT - we either support
> it or we don't.

Doesn't it depend on how we attack things...? Is the current version
_strictly_ NT or does it have a mass of #ifdefs and stuff to get
around the UNIX vs NT diffs. If the later, then it provides a clue
for us what sort of abstractions we need, which will actually
help in the long run.

PS: I'm under the impression that it _is_ the later, if not, then
    I vote we delay NT until we can fit it in cleanly.