httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: [2.0 API] update to "apigen" script
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 12:32:54 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > You may actually want to _wait_ until the Apache Group decides
> > what it thinks before you decide to "take" Apache in the
> > direction you think it needs to go.
> >
> > I certainly wouldn't, for example, start a new sendmail configuration
> > file format and then, on the sendmail newsgroups and mailing
> > lists, start saying stuff like "Well, I'm almost done with my
> > rewrite. How about a few comments and I can start
> > the server code changes. Eric, when do you think we can fold
> > this in??"
> Personally, I welcome work like this.  The only way we can move ahead is
> to have people like Ian take some initiative and develop things.  We can
> discuss stuff until we are blue in the face, but unless someone actually
> sits down and does the work we won't get anywhere.  I really don't want to
> scare off anybody willing to put in time and effort, and I don't think it
> is constructive to do so.

My concern is _NOT_ with Ian at all... The more people we have
working on Apache the better it is. My concern (and it may be
others as well, but I tend to foam at the mouth more ;) ) is
that Apache is getting widely popular. Being an Apache developer
is a major feather in one's 'Net cap. There will be some people
who _will_ try to become involved in Apache for no other reason
than have their name associated with it.

I know I'm coming off like a real pr*ck on this and I really, REALLY
hope this is NOT all taken out of context. I'm not picking on Ian
at all, and I also really appreciate the effort he's put into his
API stuff. But as we all know, and as some of us old-timers know,
egos can and _do_ get involved in stuff like this. I think that
all input from everyone concerning Apache is a Good Thing and I
think the team as a whole appreciates it. After all, there is only
so much a handful of people scattered over the globe can do.
I certainly do NOT want to squash anyone's desire to become involved
with Apache, and I fear that my comments may be mistaken for that.
As Marc and Ken know, we welcome new people and we always will.
In fact, as Apache grows, we'll need it.

Oh boy...

      Jim Jagielski            |       jaguNET Access Services           |