httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <>
Subject Re: CVS branches and working directories
Date Fri, 06 Jun 1997 01:41:56 GMT
>     I'm still not comfortable with this branching thing.  I haven't done
>     anything to my working trees (named apache and apache-site) since
>     this morning.  I expect I'll be doing more with 1.2.x than 2.0 for
>     the short term.  I just read through the CVS man page and I feel
>     unenlightened on this subject, particularly in light of some caveats
>     bandied earlier.  So:
>      1. What `version' are my current working directories?

Your current versions, (if checked out with 'cvs co apache') should
be on the HEAD and should turn into 2.0.

>      2. What do I need to do to make them 1.2.x?

You probably want to check out another source repository with:

cvs co -rAPACHE_1_2_X apache

>      3. What do I need to do every time I touch them to keep things from
>         going blooey?  (update, commit)

>From anywhere within the various directories, you should be able to
do a 'cvs update -Pd' and update for the current branch that you
are working in. To be certain, you could add a '-r(BRANCH_TAG)' to
update for the desired branch. I have not found that that is
necessary though.

>      4. What do I need to do to create a 2.0 working tree?

cvs co apache

>      5. What do I need to do with my CVS commands on *that*?

Again, 'cvs update -Pd' should do what you expect.

>     None of the source-control tools I've used before handled things in
>     this manner, so I'm feeling my way.  Thanx for the assistance..
>     #ken    :-)}

BTW - Ben was correct about my mistakenly commiting the version
change _before_ branching. We need to change that to whatever the
target should be. Should it be 1.3-dev, or 2.0-dev?

View raw message