httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: 1.2 Announcements
Date Thu, 05 Jun 1997 22:32:14 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >From the fingers of Jim Jagielski flowed the following:
> >
> >Soooo... who wants to do 'em ?
>     Well, I raised my hand as a fallback.  Here's what I would send.  I
>     would attach the *full* CHANGES file since 1.2b1 inclusive (not
>     just the 1.2b11+ stuff), and also the mirror list.
>     If someone else wants to do it, that's cool.
>     Let me know.. or someone else can use this as a basis.  Whatever.
>     If I don't see an announcement, or hear "boo"s or "nay"s, by
>     21H00EDT to-night, I'll post this.
>     #ken    :-)}
> THIS IS IT!  Version 1.2 of the Apache Web Server software is hereby
> formally released!  After a long and intense field test, and hundreds of
> problem reports, comments, suggestions, and proposed fixes from the
> Apache user community, The Apache Group is proud to release this new,
> HTTP/1.1-compliant, high-quality, high-performance version of the most
> popular Web server on the planet Earth.

		     Actually, in the known Universe :)

> Please DO NOT REPLY to this message via email!  EMAIL REPLIES WILL BE
> IGNORED.  If you have questions or problems, please:
>  - check the FAQ (see below), then
>  - double-check the online documentation, then
>  - ask in USENET newsgroup comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
> If you don't find what you're seeking, then please submit a problem
> report from the Apache web site (<>).
> We continue to enhance the FAQ (available at the Apache web site at
> <>), and will shortly begin posting
> it to comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix on a regular basis.  Please
> check it *first* if you have questions or problems about using Apache.
> There is also the relatively-new keyword search facility, which allows
> you to locate topics in the master copy of the online documentation.
> The search feature is also available at the Apache web site (at URL
> <>), and a link to it is included
> as part of the online documentation included in the distribution.
> See the Apache web site <> for downloading
> instructions and other details.  There are many mirrors available; a
> list is provided at the bottom.  Please choose one close to you.
> Thank you for using Apache and helping make it the number one server on
> the Web!

How about something like "We encourage everyone who is using
any previous versions to upgrade to version 1.2. v1.2 has numerous
bug fixes, performance enhancements and configuration improvements
over previous versions"

In other words, lets put some more marketing jazz in it... Except for
the 1st paragraph, there's really little in there about what a major
improvement this is, esp over 1.1.3. The people who have been
using the 1.2betas don't need to be convinced, but the one's running
1.1.3 may be :)

      Jim Jagielski            |       jaguNET Access Services           |