httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: lookups and rewrites in vhosts (fwd)
Date Sat, 03 May 1997 15:20:17 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 09:59:19 -0700
From: Ian Kallen <ian@gamespot.com>
To: Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
Cc: Apache Group <new-httpd@hyperreal.com>, jsd@ns2.gamespot.com
Subject: Re: lookups and rewrites in vhosts

Ah, the separate log I had set up for one of virtual hosts is doing
lookups.  Requests for the virtual host get logged both to the "main"
access log and a separate one for our virtual host.  (there's reasons why
I'm doing that that I shant bore you withunless you _really_ wanna know)
Anyway, our virutalhost section is not inheriting the "HostNameLookups off"
from the main  server config as expected.  Here's the virtualhost section:

<virtualhost 205.216.163.241>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/$ /news/ [R=301]
RewriteLogLevel 9
RewriteLog logs/news-rewrite_log
servername headline.gamespot.com
serveralias headline newsroom news
documentroot /htdocs/news
directoryindex index.html
# log to the main log for i/pro audits of news traffic
Transferlog logs/access_log
# write out to a separate log for our archiving, reporting, and monitoring
ErrorLog logs/news-error_log
CustomLog logs/news-access_log "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b"
ErrorDocument 401 http://www.gamespot.com/mesg/authenticate.html
ErrorDocument 404 http://www.gamespot.com/404.html
ErrorDocument 403 http://www.gamespot.com/cgi-bin/403-gs.pl
ErrorDocument 500 http://www.gamespot.com/cgi-bin/500-gs.pl
</virtualhost>

further up in the main config area the directive
HostNameLookups Off
is operative, the main server logs don't have FQDN's...
The log specified by the "CustomLog" directive (another CLF log for that
vhost) is logging FQDN's...

thanks