httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [BUG]: "gethostbyname gets broken for some versions of FreeBSD" on FreeBSD (fwd)
Date Fri, 23 May 1997 01:37:05 GMT
I sent this guy my solaris patch and told him to tweak the #ifdef and give
it a try.  I must say this freebsd problem suprises me -- I'm wondering if
he's installed his own resolvers or something.  Anyhow he'll report here
if it works.

Dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 20:34:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: John Lind <john@starfire.mn.org>
To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Subject: Re: [BUG]: "gethostbyname gets broken for some versions of FreeBSD" on FreeBSD (fwd)

This is from 'way back when:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, John Lind wrote:

This got put on hold for awhile, but then became a hot issue again.
I have traced the problem back to the FreeBSD gethostbyname() routine.
Somebody must be trying to store a socket file descriptor in a u_char
or something, because gethostbyname promptly breaks as soon as file
descriptors 0-255 are in use.

I built a gross, horrible hack of a workaround that creates and
opens ten /tmp files near the beginning of the initialization
loop, and then closes them just before the part that does the
hostname lookups.  I now have 1.2b10 up and running with this
hack in place.

I have submitted a problem report to the FreeBSD team through GNATS.
I will also continue looking for the germinal problem as well.

I hope you haven't had to struggle too much to recall the context!

		 John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG	    USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417


Mime
View raw message