httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: C++. Style guide.
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 19:53:25 GMT
On Fri, 2 May 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> If I may quote Stroustrup: "C++ is a general purpose programming language
> designed to make programming more enjoyable for the serious programmer". He
> ain't wrong.

Stroustrup has a lot to gain by making such statements.

Having dealt with C++ on the compiler end of things (at WATCOM) I have no
love for the language.  A modern language should not have ambiguities.
We learned how to avoid that long before the 80s.  Why a language built
in the 80s has to be so screwed up is beyond me.  Furthermore, if you
write in the true OO fashion you screw yourself for performance.

This is not a -1 by any means, just my 2 cents.

I appreciate the OO paradigm, I just usually implement it in C because then
I can force static bindings or other optimizations to avoid weighting down
the inner loops.

Dean