httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject C++. Style guide.
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 15:46:42 GMT
On Thu, 1 May 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> An interesting idea. It seems to me, though, that what this gets you is no
> better, and in some ways worse, than using C++ and inheritance. Am I missing
> something?

Oh no, not again. I say no, use Java if we must re-code Apache into a
different language, but I'd prefer to stick with C. Yes some OO
programming techniques are great, and lets use them in C whereever
possible, but C++ is much less widely used (how many other Unix systems
programs are written in C++? perl? bind? sendmail? inn? cvs? lynx? xntp?
Umm).

Anyway, while we are going over old wounds, what about resurrecting the
Apache coding style guide. It was an excellent idea in my opinion and was
95% complete when the world fell over. Or use this easy-to-digest two word
programming style guide:

   Use comments.

//pcs