httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Rought-draft list of things I've seen for 2.0
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 23:36:36 GMT
On Fri, 2 May 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Lets not rush into long lists of updates that could be made to 2.0 without
> first thinking clearly about the major restructuring needed. The three
> things we need to work out carefully before any code starts:

I agree here.

>  *  Threading (and sfio?)

I'd make these seperate. They're not really related, except that you
need a thread-safe IO library.

>  *  OS abstraction - to allow Windows, OS/2 and Unix from the same code
>  *  Stackable modules, more API hooks
>
> These will require *major* code surgery (including an API redesign), so
> they have to be done before implementing the dozens of other new features
> (or implement them first and release 1.2.1 and re-do later, or something).

Yes. I think the best strategy might be to assig a person to direct
each part of the 2.0 redesign; someone who's familiar with the topic
in question.

Another question is how we start. From Apache 1.2? From scratch? From
RST's aborted apache-XX code, which actually implemented threading and
sfio-like stuff rather well, but was based on Apache 1.1, and whose
status in terms of whether or not the Apache Group can use it is
unknown.