httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: [post-1.2] proposed api extension mechanism
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 05:09:27 GMT
On Thu, 1 May 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Java would kill our performance on high end systems.  I'm not against
> supporting server-side java, just against writing the server in it.  Having
> written a groupware multicast layer in it I have no desire to do any more
> network programming in Java.  It's far too painful.

Sorry... let me requalify that. I really wasn't speaking of Java,
just the Java language. It seems to me better designed in many areas
than C++. (though the lack of C stuff gets annoying at
times. Sometimes you just don't *want* to use object oriented
programming, gosh darn it... makes you miss variables and functions
and things).

I do agree that writing a server that ran as Java bytecode would be a
bad idea. Although there are compilers out there (mostly commerical
ones) that will compile Java to native processor code.

But it was just a random thought... I think we ought to stick with
C. Or maybe we should just use BASIC...