httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: [post-1.2] proposed api extension mechanism
Date Thu, 01 May 1997 18:26:02 GMT
On Thu, 1 May 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> rasmus@bellglobal.com wrote:
> >
> > > Again, it seems to me that C++ would be a much cooler way to handle this
> > > kind of thing.
> >
> > Perhaps, but the number of programmers completely comfortable in C++ is
> > significantly less than those comfortable in C.  Our pool of contributors
> > would drop dramatically if we switched everything to C++.
> >
> > And, getting a working C++ compiler on the extremely diverse set of
> > platforms that Apache currently supports is going to be difficult.
> >

> I'm just waiting for someone to suggest Java... :/

Why don't we use Java? :)

Actually, I'm partly serious. Java has some featers that make it a
lot cleaner than C++ for doing this sort of thing (and of course, both
are lighyears ahead of C), and getting a working Java
compiler/interpreter is, to a degree, easier than C++, since almost
all Java development tools are the same (the Sun JDK).

Of course, C++ is much more widespread, and it would be eaiser to make
Apache, which is written in C, work wth C++ than with Java. It may
already.

I do agree that getting a working C++ compiler on every platform is
something of an issue; I'll agree with Ben that gcc is a perfectly
good C++ compiler, and that its pretty pervasive. However, most
sytems, even if they have gcc, do not have a libc++. I suppose we
could use C++ if we agreed not to use any of the standard C++
libraries, but otherwise, I'd be hard-pressed to agree that we should
require all Apache users to install all that software on their
machines.