httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: new apache home page take 1
Date Tue, 27 May 1997 16:35:58 GMT
On Tue, 27 May 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> >From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
> >
> >On Tue, 27 May 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >
> >>                                                       Any objections to
> >>     upgrading/taking advantage of HTML 3.2 features?
> >
> >Not as long as they appear fine on any old browser that doesn't support
> >them and aren't a pain to make exactly right.
>
>     That'll be interesting.  Among the things not supported in HTML 2.0:
>
>      o Tables
>      o <CENTER> (or <DIV ALIGN="CENTER">)
>      o Scripting (e.g., JavaScript)
>      o BGCOLOR
>      o TYPE attribute in lists (UL, OL, and LI)
>      o SIZE and WIDTH attributes for <HR>
>      o JavaScript enhancements (e.g., onMouseOver attribute to <A> tag)
>
>     Most of these should go unhandled by older browsers, since they
>     involve attributes the browser will consider undefined and therefore
>     ignore.  The first two are the most likely to cause problems.  (Note
>     that Brian's new front page uses tables, which are arguably the
>     biggest compatibility problem.)

So?

You simply have to design the HTML so that it works fine both ways.
Brian's new front page looks fine in a browser that doesn't support tables
(lynx v2.4.2).

Not only am I against making all sorts of fancy pages that don't work with
nearly any client, but pages that try to use all the latest tricks to make
them look perfect in a browser require a lot more updating to look good in
the browser of the week.  We don't have the people for that.

>     How about using XSSI to tailor what gets sent to the client
>     depending upon what it is?  Hey, *there's* an idea.. don't send
>     tables to Lynx, et cetera..

No.  I really don't think it is a worthwhile thing and it just leads to
more hassles, in addition to requiring even more preprocessing to be used
on other sites.

lynx supports tables, so why wouldn't you want to send tables to it?